The Aboriginal Literacy Foundation appreciates all donations of new and used children’s books. All books are sorted, packed, and delivered to Indigenous communities throughout Australia that desperately need help. To assist us with our book sorting and to make our distribution easier we ask that you refer to the following criteria before sending or delivering books.
We wish to advise that the Aboriginal Literacy Foundation has set two periods throughout the year for book donations.
Donation period 1: February 1 to April 30
Donation period 2: August 1 to October 31
Due to storage capacity, we will be unable to accept books outside these periods. At the end of each period, there will be a volunteer day to help sort books into age groups and prepare for distribution. If you or a group would like to take part, please contact email@example.com to register your interest.
We do accept – New and second hand:
- Picture books – new titles, classic titles, favourite authors, award winners
- Early readers – popular series, cardboard books
- Fiction – new titles, popular authors, classics
- Non-Fiction (current and relevant to Indigenous culture)
Age levels: Suitable for children from 0-16 years of age.
We do not accept books that have:
- Binding that is frayed
- Cover and pages that torn or missing
- Food stains
- Been chewed on
- Been written in or highlighted
- Mould, dirt or water damage
- Battery operated sounds.
- An accompanying CD, but CD is missing.
Or that are:
- Novels or books directed at an adult audience or containing adult content
- Religious material
- Home decorating or gardening books, craft books, financial guides
- Medical, technical and scientific books
- Educational textbooks
- Library books
Sadly, in the past we have received large amounts of books that are not suitable to send out. When considering donating books to us, we ask kindly you keep in mind that we are a not-for-profit organisation. Donating books to us that do not fit the above criteria could mean we incur extra costs for their removal and disposal at a recycling facility.
Delivering your books to ALF
Books can be delivered to our office at:
Theosophical Society Building
403 / 128 Russell St
Office opening hours
Weekdays: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Please notify us prior to delivering your books by calling (03) 9650 1006 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, we do not have any collection depots in any other cities or states at this time.