Help us jumpstart the enjoyment of reading right from the beginning of childhood
Joey Jumpstart is a new interactive campaign that specifically targets purchasing brand new books for Indigenous babies, toddlers and preschool children (0-5yo). It’s about not only igniting their love of reading at an early age, but also encouraging parents to read to their child. There are two ways you can contribute to Joey Jumpstart:
- If you’re up for a challenge and love hunting for bargains then you can donate brand new book(s) that are $5 or under.
- You can make a simple $5 donation. We will be keeping an up to date tally of the month’s donations received on our website. This money will be used to buy brand new children’s books in bulk.
We will also show you what you helped us to purchase, with a picture of all of the books purchased and donated to Joey Jumpstart each month. So if you donate new books or $5, make sure to check back on our website. Here are the other ways you can help us and stay involved.
- Cast your vote in the monthly book showdown. Get your votes in for your favourites that we list, and the Top 3 most voted books will be included in the end of month book purchases. You can cast your vote via facebook.com/aboriginalliteracyfoundation and https://twitter.com/Aboriginal_Lit
- Make a suggested reading list. What books would you recommend for young first time readers to fire up their imagination and help build their passion for reading? You can email us your reading list via email@example.com. We will pick a suggested reading list to feature on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Tell us and others about the first book you remember picking up that cemented your passion for reading. You can email us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll feature a “First book you remember” story once a week on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Hold a Joey Jumpstart “5 under 5” book drive. Encourage your school, work, family members or friends to each donate 5 brand new children’s books that cost $5 or under to your book drive. You can contact us (03) 9650 1006 or email@example.com to let us know that you will be holding a “5 under 5” book drive and we’ll send you out some promotional material to help kick off your book drive.
For those who are a hands on bargain hunter, here are a few bookstores and retail outlets that you can visit and fossick for books for $5 or under:
The Book Grocer Target
Dymocks Books Kmart
Big W Books 4 Less
For those who see themselves as an internet savvy shopper, here are a few suggestions for online bookstores where you can find bargain books for $5 or under:
All donated books can be delivered to:
Aboriginal Literacy Foundation
Level 3, Ross House, 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
All $5 donations: Direct deposit details
The Aboriginal Literacy Foundation
BSB: 013 822
Account: 4960 01997
Please place “Joey” as reference when making the deposit.
All donations over $2 are tax deductible.